dcsimg
Need some information on how to Sign Applets and access signed applet in an intranet site.
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   umesh_Bhandarkar
Posted On:   Sunday, October 14, 2001 11:47 PM

I wanted some help on the following issue: I have an applet running on my intranet site . I want to include printing feature in my applet ( because of some specific formatting ... that i think cannot be done through HTML ) ... can this be done in first place? I know that applets by default are unable to acces client resources ... but are they restricted from supporting the printing too... If printer access is also restricted then what options do i have??? a) I know that I can get my applets signed ... but from what ever i was able to gather on signing an applet it seems that i have to get third party ie. Verisign e   More>>

I wanted some help on the following issue:

I have an applet running on my intranet site .
I want to include
printing

feature in my applet ( because of some specific formatting ... that i think cannot be done through HTML )

... can this be done in first place?

I know that applets by default are unable to acces client resources ... but
are they restricted from supporting the printing too...

If printer access is also restricted then what options do i have???

a) I know that I can get my applets signed ...

but from what ever i was able to gather on signing an applet it seems that i have to get
third party ie. Verisign etc certification ...
but my site being intranet do not think that my clients will like to invest that much in the certification.

Is there a way to generate the Certificate,if yes then how do I generate the certificate and get my certificate accepted in my applet User's browser

b)I also found that this some how can be done using policy tool and key store...

but from what ever i have read it needs the Key store to be created by the applet User so as to support the signed jars...

but i cannot expect the applets user to generate a key store manually ....
is there a way to automate the key store generation part on users machine ... Is this possible ?

I have also read somewhere that the user needs to have a policy file ( .java.policy ) in his USER_HOME directory which will give the required access to the signed jar ... if this is true then how do I get the policy into the
USERHOME

directroy which usually varies depending on operating system and a java applet doesn't have access too...

Also what if the client does not have JDK installed on their machine and has only browsers Netscape or IE.

Is there any other better way for getting the above things (ie. printing dynamic content in particular format, giving access to printer on applet users machine etc.) done ?    <<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact