<font size=4>A Generalized email fetching application which can fetch emial from <br>any server ie from yahoo.com/altavista.com or hotmail.com </font>
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   khurram_shahzad
Posted On:   Monday, September 24, 2001 03:27 PM

I want to develop a java application using javamail to fetch email from any server. In fact I have created the application with host name as String host = "pop.mail.yahoo.com"; It works for yahoo.com only. But inorder to use this application for "altavista.com" when I write host = "pop.mail.altavista.com"; it throws UnKnownHostException. Same is the case with "HOTMAIL.COM". Please tell me what should be the value of this "host" variable for altavista.com. and how can I find it using only the email address of my client like he enters min2@hotmail.com and I find out value of host from it   More>>

I want to develop a java application using
javamail to fetch email from any server. In fact I
have created the application with host name as
String host = "pop.mail.yahoo.com";

It works for yahoo.com only.
But inorder to use this application for
"altavista.com" when I write

host = "pop.mail.altavista.com";

it throws UnKnownHostException.
Same is the case with "HOTMAIL.COM".

Please tell me what should be the value
of this "host" variable for altavista.com.
and how can I find it using only the email address
of my client like he enters min2@hotmail.com
and I find out value of host from it.    <<Less

Re: A Generalized email fetching application which can fetch...

Posted By:   josh_knowles  
Posted On:   Monday, September 24, 2001 03:37 PM

There is no way to find out the pop server address through just an email address. Some admins set it to mail.mycompany.com, some will set it to pop.mail.mycompany.com etc. The easiest way to find out is to look around on their site or ask the sysadmin.

~josh
About | Sitemap | Contact