dcsimg
POP3 performance issues
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Jeremy_Zink
Posted On:   Friday, August 31, 2001 01:03 PM

I've been tasked to write a POP3 mail client, but have been hampered by serious performance issues. Specifically, opening a folder is very time consuming if there are a lot of messages. If I open the folder only once, I do not receive any new messages with subsequent calls to folder.getMessages(). I need to be able to poll the server for new messages at a regular interval to allow for dynamic updating of the client display. Is continually closing and then opening the folder the only way to accomplish this? I know about prefetch and checking UID's and such things, but am I still required to close/open the folder to get new messages? I have checked the FAQs but if I've missed a relevant post I'd appreciate a link or any advice in general you could offer. Thanks.    More>>

I've been tasked to write a POP3 mail client, but have been hampered by serious performance issues. Specifically, opening a folder is very time consuming if there are a lot of messages. If I open the folder only once, I do not receive any new messages with subsequent calls to folder.getMessages(). I need to be able to poll the server for new messages at a regular interval to allow for dynamic updating of the client display. Is continually closing and then opening the folder the only way to accomplish this? I know about prefetch and checking UID's and such things, but am I still required to close/open the folder to get new messages? I have checked the FAQs but if I've missed a relevant post I'd appreciate a link or any advice in general you could offer. Thanks.

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact