Internationalization of web site
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Ajay_Prabhakaran
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 22, 2001 07:51 AM

I am creating a multilingual Database driven web site. I am using Oracle 8i Database with UTF-8 as its character set. I am using a JRun to save data to my database with JDBC thin driver as the driver for connection. Please advice on what all should i look into to keep my data in the UTF format in the three tiers - browser, Application server and the Database. Please elaborate if i have a posibility of specifying NLS_LANG through JDBC thin driver to my database. Also pls let me know how to specify the encoding of JVM so that i can get this property in my classes. Please provide sample code.

Re: Internationalization of web site

Posted By:   Markus_Schneider  
Posted On:   Monday, August 27, 2001 02:39 AM

You can change the NLS_LANG with ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE = ... (Oracle8i SQL Reference). IMHO you have to use DBMS_SESSION.SET_NLS.. (Oracle8i Supplied Packages Reference).

Re: Internationalization of web site

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 22, 2001 01:09 PM

You can get the default encoding from system properties, that's basic to any java program. Note that it may not be the same as the DBMS encoding for the specific table. It is the driver's job to convert from the DBMS encoding to Unicode and back. The driver finds out from the DBMS what the encoding is. This is also basic, in that Java, without specific intervention, always uses Unicode. These issues are discussed in several places in the FAQ. You should probably also review the I18N FAQ.
About | Sitemap | Contact