Sending Link to a Unix file as message in JavaMail
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Manju_J
Posted On:   Monday, August 20, 2001 11:49 AM

Hi:
I have to send a mail, and in that mail, I need to send a link that points to a file on Unix server. So, when the user gets the mail, and he clicks on the link, he is directed to the Unix server and prompted to enter User Id/ Password. If the Id/passowrd are correct, the file is dispalyed, else error message is shown.
I do not know how to create url to a file on Unix machine.
Any help asap will be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Sending Link to a Unix file as message in JavaMail

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Monday, September 3, 2001 06:32 AM

Manju,
Specifying a link to a file is easy simply encode your mail as html and include a href. Allowing restricted access is another matter. Sounds like you want to set up an FTP server and then allow users to log in via that. Your href would contain a reference like 'ftp://www.myserver.com/mypath/myFile.txt' or whatever. You'd have to restict read/write rights for each file seperately if you only wanted certain files to be visible to certain users (or store them in different directories). Another alternative would be to have your own program, running on the server, that would handle the login but that opens another can of worms and unless you understand Unix properly I'd advise against it. Remember allowing users access to your computer's is dangerous.
Hope that this is of use.
Regards.
About | Sitemap | Contact