Anyone notice Java Tutorial Trail: Essential Java Classes Lesson on Threads example not completely true?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Chris_Adams
Posted On:   Friday, August 17, 2001 06:16 AM

Anyone notice that the Trail: Essential Java Classes Lesson: Threads: Doing Two or More Tasks At Once - The Producer/Consumer Example produces random results when the author states - "When an object is locked by one thread and another thread tries to call a synchronized method on the same object, the second thread will block until the object is unlocked." The results show this not the case: He says the results will be: Producer #1 put: 0 Consumer #1 got: 0 Producer #1 put: 1 Consumer #1 got: 1 Producer #1 put: 2 Consumer #1 got: 2 Producer #1 put: 3 Consumer #1 got: 3 Producer #1    More>>

Anyone notice that the Trail: Essential Java Classes Lesson: Threads: Doing Two or More Tasks At Once -
The Producer/Consumer Example produces random results when the author states -
"When an object is locked by one thread and another thread tries to call a synchronized method on the same object, the second thread will block until the object is unlocked."

The results show this not the case: He says the results will be:

Producer #1 put: 0

Consumer #1 got: 0

Producer #1 put: 1

Consumer #1 got: 1

Producer #1 put: 2

Consumer #1 got: 2

Producer #1 put: 3

Consumer #1 got: 3

Producer #1 put: 4

Consumer #1 got: 4

Producer #1 put: 5

Consumer #1 got: 5

Producer #1 put: 6

Consumer #1 got: 6

Producer #1 put: 7

Consumer #1 got: 7

Producer #1 put: 8

Consumer #1 got: 8

Producer #1 put: 9

Consumer #1 got: 9

Hence showing that the consumer is never invoked until the Producer is finished, but my results are random in order - sometimes the consumer consumes prior to the producer - how can this be?

my results:

Consumer #1 got: 0

Consumer #1 got: 1

Producer #1 put: 1

Consumer #1 got: 2

Producer #1 put: 2

Producer #1 put: 3

Consumer #1 got: 3

Consumer #1 got: 4

Producer #1 put: 4

Producer #1 put: 5

Consumer #1 got: 5

Consumer #1 got: 6

Producer #1 put: 6

Producer #1 put: 7

Consumer #1 got: 7

Consumer #1 got: 8

Producer #1 put: 8

Producer #1 put: 9

Consumer #1 got: 9

try for yourselves:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/threads/synchronization.html

<<Less

Re: Anyone notice Java Tutorial Trail: Essential Java Classes Lesson on Threads example not completely true?

Posted By:   Kevin_Riff  
Posted On:   Saturday, September 8, 2001 10:51 PM

Did you try reading the next few lessons and implementing the changes they demonstrate? I think that's what you're meant to do. If the source code you downloaded and ran doesn't include any synchronized blocks or methods and doesn't use wait()/notify() then that's your problem.

I agree that it is confusing. The tutorial should provide the correctly implemented producer/consumer code for download, not just the original, incorrect version. I couldn't find it anywhere, but I didn't look very hard. Have you filled out their feedback form?

About | Sitemap | Contact