JBuilder reports the following error:!_NEWLINE_!Assertion Failure (C:metro1srcwin32BROWSERDirectory.pas , line 460)
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Dermot_Hennessy
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 14, 2001 06:50 AM

I am using JBuilder 3 Enterprise edition. Recently whenever I attempt to add a file through the + symbol, I see a message saying " Exception EAssertionFailed in module jbuilder.exe at 00EE75C. Assertion Failure (C:metro1srcwin32BROWSERDirectory.pas , line 460) " I have trawled the web and found only one reference to a potential solution for this kind of error, from http://www.dur.ac.uk/computer.science/ug/handbook/JAVA.htm . This site states that " If you receive this error message...Then you need to change some directory names. If a user has two files of the same name on the root of their J: drive but different capitalisation (ie test.txt and TEXT.TXT) Jbuilder complains. Unix is case sensitive    More>>

I am using JBuilder 3 Enterprise edition. Recently whenever I attempt to add a file through the + symbol, I see a message saying " Exception EAssertionFailed in module jbuilder.exe at 00EE75C. Assertion Failure (C:metro1srcwin32BROWSERDirectory.pas , line 460) "

I have trawled the web and found only one reference to a potential solution for this kind of error, from http://www.dur.ac.uk/computer.science/ug/handbook/JAVA.htm . This site states that

" If you receive this error message...Then you need to change some directory names. If a user has two files of the same name on the root of their J: drive but different capitalisation (ie test.txt and TEXT.TXT) Jbuilder complains. Unix is case sensitive but Windows is not and it Jbuilder is doing some sort of dir of the root, comes across these two files and bombs out. Solution: don't have two files of mixed case, or save all files in a subfolder of the root.

I have searched my C: drive root and my D:drive root for such anomolies and have found none. However the problem still repeats itself.

Is anyone out there aware of any other possible explanations for this behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

<<Less

Re: JBuilder reports the following error:!_NEWLINE_!Assertion Failure (C:metro1srcwin32BROWSERDirectory.pas , line 460)

Posted By:   Dermot_Hennessy  
Posted On:   Wednesday, August 15, 2001 10:09 AM

Well, it appears that I have found the solution to my own problem, so I'm recording it here in case anybody ever experiences the same amount of frustration that I have experienced over this past few days.

I still don't quite get it, though, so I am going to make a few suppositions below.

The reason for JBuilder crashing was some sort of inconsistency in a library which I had created and was using in my project.

This library was composed of multiple jar files, all contained on a network drive.

In addition to specifying the jar files, I also wanted to specify the source directories for these files.

These were stored across multiple directories on the same network drive, and potentially modifiable by someone other than me, during the lifetime of my project.

In addition, these directories did not fully reflect the package structure which resulted from compiling the source code.

I noticed that the problem was with this library when I attempted to add the library to a newly created project. Before adding the library, I could add files with no problem, however, after adding in the library, I again received the error specified in the title to this query.

I then chanced removing the source directories completely from the library and tried again. Lo and behold, everything worked properly!!

So, what was causing it? Well, here's where I make my suppositions:

• Maybe it was because somebody could have changed the source files after I had added their location to the library.
  • On the other hand, it might have been because the directory structure of the source did not reflect the directory structure of the compiled code.
  • Finally, it might have been because of some sort of network failure - the network drive to which I refer is a 'virtual' drive, potentially made up of numerous physical volimes.

So if you ever come across this problem with JBuilder, you should at least know something more than I did to start out.

Regards,

Dermot

About | Sitemap | Contact