dcsimg
Need a Design Pattern for the interaction between components in an Application (Top-Frame and sub components).
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Abey_Mullassery
Posted On:   Monday, July 23, 2001 09:11 PM

I am developing an IDE in java for embedded systems programming (It looks similar to JBuilder or Forte). The IDE has many components like C/C++ code editor, project panel, output window, hardware viewer, simulator, etc. All these components have a set of actions associated with it. The actions are accessed from the Main application (Frame) menu or popup menus. The actions can be divided into 3 categories:- Actions with common names (cut, copy, paste..) but different implications on different components. For eg. menu->copy on the "project pane" copies a file while the same menu-item (action) while the editor is in focus means a selected text copy.    More>>

I am developing an IDE in java for embedded systems programming (It looks similar to JBuilder or Forte). The IDE has many components like C/C++ code editor, project panel, output window, hardware viewer, simulator, etc.

All these components have a set of actions associated with it. The actions are accessed from the Main application (Frame) menu or popup menus.

The actions can be divided into 3 categories:-

• Actions with common names (cut, copy, paste..) but different implications on different components.

For eg. menu->copy on the "project pane" copies a file while the same menu-item (action) while the editor is in focus means a selected text copy.

• Actions which are same for all components.

For eg. "compile". Clicking on the compile menu item, no matter which component is in focus compiles the file in the context (either the selected file in the project pane OR the file being edited in the editor pane, depending on which of these components are in focus). These actions should be disabled as soon as the focus is on a component which does not support compile eg., output pane.

• A new set of actions unique to a component only, ie., it has relevance only when that component is invoked. For eg. the "Hardware Simulator".

I wanted to know if there is a good pattern which will allow me to have a clean design for the interactions between the Top Frame (MDI application) and the components. The actions are manifested thru the main menus and the popup-menus (right click on the component).

I would also like to know if there are any more design related things I should keep in mind (such as for "help", performance, etc) or common pitfalls to avoid. Do add links to literature already available on the net.

Thanking you in anticipation.

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact