Whats the efficient way of doing a search using JNDI?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Narmadha_N
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 18, 2001 10:00 AM

JNDI provides many search methods to find entries on LDAP. Can anyone shed some light on which one of these is more efficient in terms of speed

Suppose I have a number of entries on files owned by people. I want the search to return say the filenames and file ID attributes of all files owned by user=tom

Currently I am using search with parameters dn, search filter to indicate only those belonging to owner tom, search control to indicate only returning attributes as fileId and filename.

The search takes about 3 seconds. I am just curious is there any way I can make this faster? (I am using OpenLDAP)

Re: Whats the efficient way of doing a search using JNDI?

Posted By:   John_Mitchell  
Posted On:   Thursday, July 19, 2001 02:32 PM

You've already done the most important thing -- making your search as specific as possible and asking for only the attributes that you actually want.

The next thing that you can do is try different JNDI providers and different underlying LDAP providers. Performance will be one "quality of implementation" issue that should distinguish the different implementations from each other.

If you're set on using OpenLDAP then you should probably check with them about things that you may be able to do to tune their implementation for better performance.

About | Sitemap | Contact