Main sequence and frameworks
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Jackie_Noorden
Posted On:   Monday, July 16, 2001 02:03 PM

My understanding of *main sequence*, *dependency inversion principle*, and *frameworks* is that the parts of a framework that are exposed to implementing applications should be fairly abstract. In other words a concrete application should expect those parts of a framework it directly depends upon to be more abstract than itself. With my simplistic mind this makes me think we should expose packages comprised of Java Interfaces and Abstract Classes rather than concrete classes. However, and here is the rub, I also know that many knowledgeable people have good reasons for preferring extension through composition, thus exposing concrete framework classes/packages. Without resorting to an elaborate labyrinth of factories, abstract factories and    More>>

My understanding of *main sequence*, *dependency inversion principle*, and *frameworks* is that the parts of a framework that are exposed to implementing applications should be fairly abstract. In other words a concrete application should expect those parts of a framework it directly depends upon to be more abstract than itself. With my simplistic mind this makes me think we should expose packages comprised of Java Interfaces and Abstract Classes rather than concrete classes.

However, and here is the rub, I also know that many knowledgeable people have good reasons for preferring extension through composition, thus exposing concrete framework classes/packages.

Without resorting to an elaborate labyrinth of factories, abstract factories and builders I am having trouble reconciling these two positions into one ideal solution.

JN

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact