dcsimg
Generating a client certificate
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Dominic_Albert
Posted On:   Thursday, July 5, 2001 08:06 PM

hi, i need to generate a certificate that will be signed by a trusted 3rd party (I already have the third party). Anyway, I have managed to generate a public and private key pair, but that's it (and I'm not even sure HOW to use them - such as what to do with that pair). Do I send it to the server already? Furthermore, I am supposed to generate a certificate for a particular user (the details of the certificate's recipeint are inputted by the user), but the public and private keys were generated using the SecureRandom and KeyPairGenerator classes. Do I need those details (user name etc that are inputted by the program's user) to generate the particular certificate that will work for the intended user? I know that the certificat   More>>

hi,

i need to generate a certificate that will be signed by a trusted 3rd party (I already have the third party).

Anyway, I have managed to generate a public and private key pair, but that's it (and I'm not even sure HOW to use them - such as what to do with that pair). Do I send it to the server already? Furthermore, I am supposed to generate a certificate for a particular user (the details of the certificate's recipeint are inputted by the user), but the public and private keys were generated using the SecureRandom and KeyPairGenerator classes. Do I need those details (user name etc that are inputted by the program's user) to generate the particular certificate that will work for the intended user?

I know that the certificate authority will vouch for the public key, but is the public key that I generated enough?

My question is, what now? Should I store in a keystore first or what? Should I send the key to the certificate authority? From there, what else? I'm lost every step of the way from after I generate the keys (even that I'm not sure of) all the way to the finished product. The final output of my program is a digital certificate that can be given to an intended user. Help guys, I REALLY need help please.

<<Less

Re: Generating a client certificate

Posted By:   murali_krishna  
Posted On:   Monday, August 6, 2001 06:55 AM

Hi,

You can generate you client certificate for particular user by using certificate authorities, the only use of client certificate is to identify the user on server, like the request is coming from particular user.
only client information need to generate certificate, use sites like verisign to generate trail version client certificate for testing..

i hope this will useful for u

Murali krishna reddy
About | Sitemap | Contact