dcsimg
Is the main sequence [Robert C Martin] a valid measurement of good design ?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Keith_Thomas
Posted On:   Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:54 AM

I have recently studied the paper written by Robert C Martin called Design Principles and Design Patterns . I was particularly interested in the section describing the *main sequence*. My thoughts were along the line of, "What a neat idea, being able to measure whether, or not, your application is rotting". However, I have yet to find an application or framework written in-house or elsewhere that comes anywhere near to conforming to where it should lie on the *main sequence*. Being a simplistic soul this has made me wonder whether, a) The *main sequence* is a bogus idea, or, b) All the software I have looked at is badly written, or, c) A   More>>

I have recently studied the paper written by Robert C Martin called Design Principles and Design Patterns . I was particularly interested in the section describing the *main sequence*.

My thoughts were along the line of,
"What a neat idea, being able to measure whether, or not, your application is rotting".

However, I have yet to find an application or framework written in-house or elsewhere that comes anywhere near to conforming to where it should lie on the *main sequence*.

Being a simplistic soul this has made me wonder whether,

a) The *main sequence* is a bogus idea, or,

b) All the software I have looked at is badly written, or,

c) All software is badly written !

Can anyone give me someinsight into what I am seeing here.

Thanks,
Keith

<<Less

Re: Is the main sequence [Robert C Martin] a valid measurement of good design ?

Posted By:   John_Mitchell  
Posted On:   Wednesday, June 27, 2001 05:16 PM

First off, the notion of the main sequence is just another tool for us to (potentially) use to evaluate our software. So, don't get too hung up on this notion as the "silver bullet" or anything. :-)

Second, IMHO, the key point from the article about what the notion of the main sequence actually means is:

A position on
this line means that the package is abstract in proportion to its incomming dependen-cies
and is concrete in proportion to its outgoing dependencies. In other words, the
classes in such a package are conforming to the DIP.

So, one way to answer your questions would be: No, the main sequence isn't a completely bogus idea; it seems that, yes, you have looked at a lot of badly written software; and, no, not all software is badly written. I'd add to that last point in particular that a lot of what constitutues "good" or "bad" software very much depends upon the specific criteria that you use to judge it. I'd suggest that the main issue is to choose the various criteria by which you judge a given piece of code to match what you need/desire to get out of that code.

About | Sitemap | Contact