Can i use class diagram to model the logical database design??
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   bluerrr_wong
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 5, 2001 10:23 PM

can i design a class diagram which each class is a table in a database, then i can show the relationships among them,t ogether with the attributes and operations(stored procedures)??

Re: Can i use class diagram to model the logical database design??

Posted By:   jim_conallen  
Posted On:   Thursday, June 7, 2001 10:18 AM

bluerr,

I got this answer from Eric Naiburg, who is an expert in this area of uml application, and he said:

Yes you can use the class diagram to model the logical data model and it in fact is very well supported. The inheritance/generalization gives full support for super/sub typing, cardinality is supported as well as the ability to create an association entity that is related directly to the relationship rather than each entity as it should be. I don't believe that stored procedures are modeled in the logical model, but if you would like, you can use a class with operations stereotyped as a <> to represent it as it does make sense. This is actually how Rational Rose represents a stored procedure as part of the

UML Profile for Database Design
. The relationships you should use would be association for non-mandatory/non-identifying relationships and composite aggregations for identifying/mandatory relationships. They map very well to the data model constructs.

Hope this helps.

About | Sitemap | Contact