dcsimg
How do you use the alternative for INSTANCE_repositoryId from Visual Basic 5 SP3 ????
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   andy_kayley
Posted On:   Friday, May 25, 2001 09:27 AM

We have this code... -------- Else sMessage = "Failed to Submit Item!" & vbCrLf sMessage = sMessage & "Error Thrown in: " & Excep.ise.fileName & vbCrLf sMessage = sMessage & "At Line Number: " & Excep.ise.Line_No & vbCrLf sMessage = sMessage & "SQL Code was: " & Excep.ise.SQLCode & vbCrLf sMessage = sMessage & "Error Description: " & Excep.ise.Description gobjErrorLog.log "modSubmit::SubmitItem", sMessage, gobjErrorLog.getFATAL_ERROR, 380 gobjErrorLog.log "modSubmit::SubmitItem", Excep.INSTANCE_repositoryId, gobjErrorLog.getFATAL_ERROR, 390 MsgBox sMe   More>>

We have this code...
--------
Else

sMessage = "Failed to Submit Item!" & vbCrLf
sMessage = sMessage & "Error Thrown in: " & Excep.ise.fileName & vbCrLf
sMessage = sMessage & "At Line Number: " & Excep.ise.Line_No & vbCrLf
sMessage = sMessage & "SQL Code was: " & Excep.ise.SQLCode & vbCrLf
sMessage = sMessage & "Error Description: " & Excep.ise.Description

gobjErrorLog.log "modSubmit::SubmitItem", sMessage, gobjErrorLog.getFATAL_ERROR, 380
gobjErrorLog.log "modSubmit::SubmitItem", Excep.INSTANCE_repositoryId, gobjErrorLog.getFATAL_ERROR, 390

MsgBox sMessage, vbCritical

' Roll the error out

sReturn = svrOrb.Rollback(Excep)

---------

At the point of the line with 390 in it we get this error:

OrbixCOMet error : property [INSTANCE_RepositoryID] is deprecated as of CORBA 2.2 Use DIObjectInfo::scoped_name() instead.

Does anyone know how I would go about changing the vb code, I cannot find anything on the web about a solution from a vb point of view.

Cheers

Andy

<<Less

Re: How do you use the alternative for INSTANCE_repositoryId from Visual Basic 5 SP3 ????

Posted By:   Dermot_Hennessy  
Posted On:   Monday, May 28, 2001 02:14 AM

Hi Andy,
I'm not an expert in VB by any standard, but I can provide you with a few small pointers which may be of use:
  1. It looks like the INSTANCE_RepositoryID property was being used by your VB code to access a CORBA object.
  2. You probably updated to a newer version of COMet, which has deprecated the use of this property, and replaced it with a function DIObjectInfo::scoped_name(), which is more object oriented.
  3. You need to replace references to INSTANCE_RepositoryID with calls on this function.

Okay, that's the obvious stuff. For the next steps I would advise examining the release notes for your version of COMet. If the change that you are experiencing has just been introduced, the release notes will have an entry corresponding to the change, and perhaps some extra info as well.

In addition, the API reference for COMet will have an entry for the INSTANCE_RepositoryID. It should explain that use of this variable for getting at instances of your CORBA objects is deprecated and provide you with a description of how to use the replacement. (I have searched for the PDF version on IONA's website, to no avail, so I'm not completely sure of my facts here.)

Failing that, and if your company has a support agreement with IONA, you can forward your query to their support team - they are usually quite good.

Hope this helps,

Dermot
About | Sitemap | Contact