How to disable the back button of the toolbar and!_NEWLINE_!also the back option in the right click of the mouse
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Meenal_Kathiravan
Posted On:   Monday, May 21, 2001 06:30 PM

Both in IE and Netscape, there is a page in our application
once he reaches there, the user should not navigate
back so i would like to disable both back button in toolbar
and back ooption in right click of the mouse.

Re: How to disable the back button of the toolbar and!_NEWLINE_!also the back option in the right click of the mouse

Posted By:   John_Zukowski  
Posted On:   Sunday, May 27, 2001 07:49 PM

As already asked and answered many times here, essentially you can't. One thing that many people have mentioned in the past is you can disable caching. And, as always, anyone can just disable JavaScript....

Re: How to disable the back button of the toolbar and!_NEWLINE_!also the back option in the right click of the mouse

Posted By:   Thomas_Dietrich  
Posted On:   Thursday, May 24, 2001 09:51 AM

Hello Meenal Kathiravan,

There are functions that 'roll up' the bars, (menu, location, button), but require the user to allow that to happen due to the javascript security model.

I like your idea, if you make it 'unconvienent' for the user to user the browser button, and provide one in the application, you have better control over work-flow in an application.

If you get the bars to disappear, two recommendations:

1) Store the status of the bars, and restore them back to normal after a user leaves your site/app.

2) Disable the 'right-click' since that is a convienent way to back up.

3) Provide an easy 'back' button in your applicaiton to allow users to review/edit the back pages.

Please reply with the resultant code and your solution, since I'm sure others are curious.

Sincerely,

Tom Dietrich

Posted By:   Ting_Radmund  
Posted On:   Tuesday, May 22, 2001 11:23 PM

if I am not wrong, even if u disable the back buttons, the user can stil use keyboard (fast access) to go to the previous page. So you should code your application such that even if user clicks back button, something 'illegal' will not happen.
About | Sitemap | Contact