dcsimg
Corba services
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   sashi_reddy
Posted On:   Sunday, May 20, 2001 06:25 PM

Servers like Weblogic let you deploy EJBs and allow CORBA clients to access them via RMI/IIOP. My question is are there any sevrers that let you deploy JAVA IDL server objects (I mean it's IIOP all the way). I have heard of Orbix. But I was told that your server objetcs need to be in C++ there. Also, are there any vendors that provide most the corba services that have been specified so far ? I mean services like events, persistence, timer, concurrence etc? I think Visibroker provides events, and naming and that's all. Haas anyone used visibroker in a real production system? Even if all of these services are available from a vendor do they support it in Java? Thanks for your help,    More>>

Servers like Weblogic let you deploy EJBs and allow CORBA clients
to access them via RMI/IIOP. My question is are there any sevrers
that let you deploy JAVA IDL server objects (I mean it's IIOP all the
way). I have heard of Orbix. But I was told that your server objetcs
need to be in C++ there. Also, are there any vendors that provide most
the corba services that have been specified so far ? I mean services
like events, persistence, timer, concurrence etc? I think Visibroker
provides events, and naming and that's all. Haas anyone used
visibroker in a real production system? Even if all of these services
are available from a vendor do they support it in Java?

Thanks for your help,
Sashi

<<Less

Re: Corba services

Posted By:   Dermot_Hennessy  
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 23, 2001 01:57 AM

In fact, "servers" fitting your requirements predate application servers such as Weblogic. I will refer to them as CORBA implementations, as a server in CORBA is a process in which a CORBA object lives. (With the advent of POA and servants the concept might be thought to be a little more muddled but we won't concern ourselves with that here.)

Orbix is produced by IONA Technologies. You are right in that the original product was for C++. However IONA also provide a pure Java ORB called OrbixWeb, which enables you to deploy all of your application in Java.

Visibroker's CORBA implementation also enables you to deploy fully in Java.

There are also others. Java 1.2 comes with a built in ORB, and there are free CORBA implementations, such as JacORB in existence too.

As for implementation of CORBA services, most of the commercial vendors would have implemented services which were commercially viable, i.e. for which there was a demand. In addition, many of the vendors who have been around for a while may have pre-empted the formation of standards for services (e.g. transactions) and would therefore have had their proprietary, non-standard, implementation in place before the standard was born. An example here was IONA's earlier transaction handling software.

To see what services are provided by IONA at this time visit their website. Visibroker's website is here

As such not all vendors produce full implementations of every CORBA service, although you might find that you can mix and match a bit. You might also find that you don't require all services for your projects - most people might only require Naming, Events, Notification and Transactions, for example. You need to choose a vendor which supports what you need.

In addition consider why you don't wanty to go with an EJB solution - one of the criticisms levelled against CORBA is that it is 'hard' and is more of a framework than a solutions platform. EJB strives to simplify the programmer's job somewhat, in providing most of the functionality above, so YOU don't have to.

Hope this helps,

Dermot
About | Sitemap | Contact