Does JNDI support connection pooling?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Ramon_Felciano
Posted On:   Saturday, May 5, 2001 01:35 PM

Hi -- We're accessing our LDAP server through JNDI and have run into a connection limit problem. We can address this by boosting the number of open files (connections) allowed by Solaris, but our preferred solution would be to pool these connections. However, because we are going through the JNDI abstraction layer, which generally hides the connection from us, it appears that we would actually have to pool JNDI contexts instead. It isn't clear how to reuse these contexts (as one does with pooled connections) and whether this even fits with the JNDI use model. So at present we're considering switching away from JNDI to use Netscape's LDAP Java API directly, as it provides connection pooling. But I wanted to make sure we were   More>>

Hi --

We're accessing our LDAP server through JNDI and have run into a connection limit problem. We can address this by boosting the number of open files (connections) allowed by Solaris, but our preferred solution would be to pool these connections. However, because we are going through the JNDI abstraction layer, which generally hides the connection from us, it appears that we would actually have to pool JNDI contexts instead. It isn't clear how to reuse these contexts (as one does with pooled connections) and whether this even fits with the JNDI use model.

So at present we're considering switching away from JNDI to use Netscape's LDAP Java API directly, as it provides connection pooling. But I wanted to make sure we weren't missing something obvious on the JNDI side. Is there any way to reuse JNDI connections in this way?

FWIW, we're using LDAP for user authentication. So in principal, we will want to do very frequent (every page) reads from the LDAP server through JNDI in order to validate users.

Thanks.

Ramon M. Felciano
CTO and Chief Architect
Ingenuity Systems, Inc.

<<Less

Re: Does JNDI support connection pooling?

Posted By:   Jaspal_Sandhu  
Posted On:   Monday, October 15, 2001 12:57 PM

Hi,

Are you guys using JNDI for connection pooling or Netscape API. I have a situation in which I may have to use JNDI to support different ldap servers for configuration information in ldap server.

JNDI does not provide all the good features:

How are you implementing persistence connection or connection pooling in JNDI for LDAP.

Cheers

Re: Does JNDI support connection pooling?

Posted By:   Nicholas_Whitehead  
Posted On:   Friday, June 8, 2001 06:19 AM

Ramon;

I am not sure what your architecture is, but we resolved this problem
by wrapping the JNDI dirContext in a session bean (LDAPBean). When the LDAPBean
has its setSessionContext method called, we get a connecction to LDAP. The dirContext is
then valid for the lifetime of the session bean, anbd it simplifies our client's access to LDAP.

//Nicholas

About | Sitemap | Contact