classpath in unix
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Bhanu_Manne
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 17, 2001 09:07 AM

Hi i am pretty experienced in Java on windows and i am good at installation , setting classpath etc. But i have never installed java on unix and i need to do that now so can you tell me how to go about that and where should i set the classpath like we can either set it in autoexec.bat or the environment tab in the mycomputer. And also please tell me how to set it. I also need to set up weblogic server 5.1 on that so if you can guide me regarding setting of classpath and also how to configure the jdbc drivers for oracle (it will be residing on the same machine as the weblogic) it would be hightly appreciable thanks bhanu    More>>

Hi i am pretty experienced in Java on windows and i am good at installation ,
setting classpath etc. But i have never installed java on unix and i need to
do that now so can you tell me how to go about that and where should i set the classpath
like we can either set it in autoexec.bat or the environment tab in the mycomputer. And also
please tell me how to set it.

I also need to set up weblogic server 5.1 on that so if you can guide me regarding
setting of classpath and also how to configure the jdbc drivers for oracle (it will be residing on the
same machine as the weblogic) it would be hightly appreciable

thanks
bhanu

<<Less

Re: classpath in unix

Posted By:   Saimon_Moore  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 18, 2001 02:45 AM

Let's assume you're using Sun's JDK 1.3 and you've installed the jdk in usr/local/jdk1.3. (BTW you can istall using the rpm file..rpm -i nameofrpmfile or by extracting the tar.gz file..either way they usually default to something like the above directory). If you're using bash then as root edit .profile in /etc and add lines like the following:

"JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3"

"export JAVA_HOME"

"PATH = $JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH"

"export PATH"

"CLASSPATH=$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar"

"export CLASSPATH"

without the quotes....

If all goes well when you type:
java -version
you should see Suns JDK 1.3 message.

Be carefull though. Many linux distributions come with other java vrm's or compilers installed. To use you're jdk, it must be added to the path before the other vrm or you can simply remove all reference to it.

If you're using IBM's jdk..use lib/classes.zip instead of tools.jar

As for weblogic server...I've never installed it myself..so I can't help you there...Good luck
About | Sitemap | Contact