dcsimg
Downloading a file from the web server to the clients machine
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Avinesh_Singh
Posted On:   Saturday, March 31, 2001 05:11 AM

I just wanted to download a file form web server to the clients machine. The client will be simply given a text box where he can enter the path name (directory+file name) where the file will be saved at the clients machine. The downloaded file will be saved with the name mentioned in the text box.

The other option may be that the user will be given a save as file dialogue and the downloaded file will be saved with the file name selected, and in the directory mentioned in the save as dialogue.

I do not want to use down load the file by presenting a link to the user. It should be only through a process.
Any answers appreciated.

Re: Downloading a file from the web server to the clients machine

Posted By:   kalyas_kalyam  
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 6, 2001 02:33 PM

Hello Avinesh Singh, I read your message and realised that i have the exact same problem right now. If you know the answer for the question you have posted , can you please send it thur email to kalyas@yahoo.com

Thanks

Re: Downloading a file from the web server to the clients machine

Posted By:   Amogh_Chitnis  
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 3, 2001 01:50 PM

Hi,
I think what you could do to download the file from the server to the client/browser,is that you can make a request to a servlet which will read the file and then send it to the client. But before sending the file, the servlet can set the content type of the response to a one which the browser would not understand(preferabley the file exension). If the browser does not understand the content type then it pops up a open/save dialog box.
Hope this will help you.
-Amogh
About | Sitemap | Contact