dcsimg
(This question is rather lengthy and can best be s...
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   michael_morett
Posted On:   Tuesday, February 27, 2001 07:02 PM

(This question is rather lengthy and can best be summarized as following: "Deployment issues: Given a local directory structure of x, how can I deploy the webapp to a *virtual hosting provider*, such that the site maintains the same level of nesting, which was locally controlled via server.xml, but cannot be controlled by server.xml on the hosted site, since that file is not available for modification). The key point is how to deploy to a hosting provider. I'm not looking for a step-by-step, though that would be nice, but rather some general guidance. Is web.xml the answer? Even a yes or no on that would be enough. ----------question below--------- I've got a site that is fully functional when used locally (o   More>>

(This question is rather lengthy and can best be summarized as following: "Deployment issues: Given a local directory structure of x, how can I deploy the webapp to a *virtual hosting provider*, such that the site maintains the same level of nesting, which was locally controlled via server.xml, but cannot be controlled by server.xml on the hosted site, since that file is not available for modification). The key point is how to deploy to a hosting provider. I'm not looking for a step-by-step, though that would be nice, but rather some general guidance. Is web.xml the answer? Even a yes or no on that would be enough.

----------question below---------

I've got a site that is fully functional when used locally (on a laptop). I'm ready to deploy this thing, but so far I haven't had much success.

Here's the directory structure:

webappsdiva
index.jsp

webappsdivahtml
(bunch of html files)

webappsdivajsp
(bunch of jsp files with further subdirectories beneath)

webappsdivaimages
(bunch of GIFs)

webappsdivamisc
(style sheet, left nav, header)

webappsdivaWEB-INF
web.xml (I don't use this--never modified it--don't really understand how to best use this file--doesn't seem to be needed in my local config)

webappsdivaWEB-INFclasses
(bunch of classes with further subdirectories beneath)

------------------------

I was going to copy these files over en masse until it dawned on me there must be an easier way and then I remembered the WAR file. I read about this a while back.

Before I go further with the WAR question, I need to point out that I tried a simple "test run" with 2 files: index.jsp and /misc/header.jsp and ran into a few problems. The problems all seemed related to index.jsp not being able to find the header.jsp. I tried to duplicate the structure I had locally and that didn't work. Then I tried "moving the files up" in the hierarchy and that didn't work.

The domain name is on the way (this is a non profit thingy), but eventually I plan to have it setup as (domain)/index.jsp.

That seems easy enough but then I notice that webapp (on the server) is subordinate to "www". And my web app (diva) is subordinate to webapp. I'm getting the feeling at this point that unless I rewrite a whole lot of code relating to linking, I am stuck with users having to go to (domain)/webapp/diva/index.jsp. (Yuck.)

I think there might be a way out of this and I think it may related to web.xml and/or it may be related to WAR files. But I'm not sure. And I've still got that issue of if I put the WAR file in webapp on the server, I'm already one level deep--at best, the user will have to type (domain)/webapp/index.jsp.

Finally...I uploaded a WAR file just to experiment and the server was unable to view the contents nor extract the files. Here's the message: "File Type: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract". The contents are gibberish when viewed and the file is never extracted. My JDK is 1.3 if that's relevant (from JBuilder4).

So, in the interest of time I'm hoping some knowledgable soul recognizes my dilemma and can suggest a solution.

Thanks.

<<Less

Re: (This question is rather lengthy and can best be s...

Posted By:   Darrell_Porter  
Posted On:   Friday, June 1, 2001 03:42 PM

With regard to WAR files, are you using the META-INF directory and a Manifest.MF file? Which method of compression are you using? I've had the most reliability with level 3 (or "Normal") compression when using a Zip utility.
About | Sitemap | Contact