When I start Tomcat 3.2.1 and call my first servlet...
6 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   roger_hyam
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 10, 2001 02:03 AM

When I start Tomcat 3.2.1 and call my first servlet I get a really long pause (in the region of a minute) while my cpu usage maxes out. Once one servlet it loaded then the pause seems to vanish and others are loaded quite rapidly. I presume that this is Tomcat loading other classes. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it?

Re: When I start Tomcat 3.2.1 and call my first servlet...

Posted By:   Alex_Chaffee  
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 26, 2001 05:52 PM

Posted By:   Mario_Felarca  
Posted On:   Friday, March 23, 2001 09:56 AM

Ack...I also meant to stress that I also have Tomcat loading the servlets at launch, so I don't believe that is a part of the problem. :)

Posted By:   Mario_Felarca  
Posted On:   Friday, March 23, 2001 09:54 AM

I too have seen this problem, but the difference is I see it primarily on Netscape and not on IE.

With IE, there is about a 10-15 second delay upon first servlet invocation.

On Netscape it is *MUCH* longer, and much more CPU intensive like you have said.

I think I agree with the other poster who said it may be session related, although I will have to go back and check this on my system.

My setup is Apache 1.3.14 with mod_jk and tomcat 3.2.1 and mod_ssl.

The netscape version is 4.73 and the IE version is 5.5.4522.1800.

Has anyone else seen this behavior with the browsers?

Thanks,

Mario

Posted By:   Roshan_Shrestha  
Posted On:   Monday, March 19, 2001 11:41 AM

I have had the same problem and also posted a question on the servlet faq. A previous version of Tomcat that I was using (Version 3.1) did not have this problem - only when I upgraded that this problem has surfaced.

Posted By:   Jose_Hon  
Posted On:   Monday, March 12, 2001 06:13 AM

Hi Roger,

It may be normal. First I have my servlet created without tomcat handling different user login session. However, once I put it on by calling the getSession() method (in HttpServletRequest interface), I have the same problem. It only happens if you restart your tomcat, I will not happen after the initial session created.

Antonio.

Posted By:   swarraj_kulkarni  
Posted On:   Monday, March 5, 2001 10:50 AM

Personally I did not face this problem, but I guess you can solve this problem by pre-loading your servlet. So that as soon as Tomcat starts, it will preload the specified servlet and then you will not face this time consuming problem.
About | Sitemap | Contact