Problem in applet while communicating with Javascript
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Israr_Ahmed
Posted On:   Friday, November 14, 2008 03:06 AM

Hi, I’m facing a problem with applet. Applet calls JavaScript methods and vice versa. Applet works fine with JRE 5 to JRE 6 up to build no 1.6.0._7 but it fails with build no 1.6.0_10. The problem description is given below: After embedding applet in my HTML page using tag, I’ve to check either any problem during applet’s execution, I want to get the error reason by calling my defined method getErrorReason() in applet that returns the error reason, I call the getErrorReason() against the applet’s object in JavaScript immediately after embed applet code in my HTML page, a JavaScript errors occurs and my applet fails to perform its execution. JavaScript error: Object does not support this property.    More>>

Hi,

I’m facing a problem with applet. Applet calls JavaScript methods and vice versa. Applet works fine with JRE 5 to JRE 6 up to build no 1.6.0._7 but it fails with build no 1.6.0_10.

The problem description is given below:

After embedding applet in my HTML page using tag, I’ve to check either any problem during applet’s execution, I want to get the error reason by calling my defined method getErrorReason() in applet that returns the error reason, I call the getErrorReason() against the applet’s object in JavaScript immediately after embed applet code in my HTML page, a JavaScript errors occurs and my applet fails to perform its execution.

JavaScript error: Object does not support this property.

The error points to the HTML page area where I’m calling getErrorReason() against applet object.

The above JavaScript error occurs after the successful completion of Applet’s init(). I’m facing this problem only in JRE 6 build 1.6.0_10-b33.

Please suggest me any solution.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Israr Ahmed

<<Less

Re: Problem in applet while communicating with Javascript

Posted By:   Robert_Lybarger  
Posted On:   Friday, November 14, 2008 09:04 AM

I can't answer the specific question you are having, but many people, including my workplace, are having problems with existing applets breaking under 1.6.0_10 update of Java. Many of them revolve around the "next generation plugin" but for us only occur when someone uses Firefox 3.x as the browser. We surmise there's a new behavior in exception propogation but haven't nailed it down entirely. For what its worth, the user can disable the "next generation" option from their Java control panel (in the System panel, or wherever it appears for your OS if not Windows). Still this is far from optimal since all affected users have to do this. The long term solution will probably involve a rewrite of the applet code once the community really starts to understand the failure mechanisms.
About | Sitemap | Contact