Tomcat newbie - help needed - what goes where,
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   zohar_etzioni
Posted On:   Saturday, October 4, 2008 09:57 AM

Hi, I'm desperately trying to build and deploy a web application that I downloaded with the worst instructions ever... So here are my questions: 1. Step two in the installation asked to copy the file called myapp.xml to [TOMCAT_HOME]/conf/Catalina/localhost (step one is build). Fine. This file contains some configuration about the docBase. What does that mean? what value should it contain? 2. Part of the same step in the installation involves setting up postgreSQL. At the end of these two steps the readme file says that after restarting tomcat - going to http://localhost:8080/myapp/ should succeed - not work yet, but not give an error. or as they say it "will be launched but   More>>

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to build and deploy a web application that I downloaded with the worst instructions ever...

So here are my questions:

1. Step two in the installation asked to copy the file called myapp.xml to [TOMCAT_HOME]/conf/Catalina/localhost (step one is build). Fine. This file contains some configuration about the docBase. What does that mean? what value should it contain?

2. Part of the same step in the installation involves setting up postgreSQL. At the end of these two steps the readme file says that after restarting tomcat - going to http://localhost:8080/myapp/ should succeed - not work yet, but not give an error. or as they say it "will be launched but not yet work" - whatever that means. I don't know what I should expect to happen really, but I'm getting a tomcat resource not available message.

3. Next step involves configuration of the ant properties for the deploy task and a file called webapps.properties. In both I have to set parameters like: webapps.proj, webapps.path, workspace. For example workspace is used in such way:

webapp.home=${workspace}/${webapp.proj}/webapps/${webapp.path}

I've been playing with these parameters back and forth, but I have no idea what I'm doing really.

Currently the status is that the deploy gives the following error:

FAIL - Application at context path /myapp could not be started

This is followed by a bunch of AxisFaults with return code 404. Again not sure what they mean.

I suspect this has something to do with step 2 mentioned above, but I'm clueless.

Help me!!!! :-)

Thanks,
Zohar
   <<Less

Re: Tomcat newbie - help needed - what goes where,

Posted By:   Robert_Lybarger  
Posted On:   Saturday, October 4, 2008 10:34 AM

Your problem isn't just being new to Tomcat. You are actually trying to mix three totally different applications together -- Tomcat as a web container, Axis as a software application server, and postgres as a database layer. And then for some reason you have ant in the mix. Any one of those four applications takes a fair amount of time to really understand ... I can't think how biting off all four at once would ever work. (And yes, documentation and instructions for such projects tends to be poor.) So with that being said, I have absolutely no idea how ant and axis apply to what you are trying to do, so I can't help. (In fact, while I'm fairly good with Ant, I have no experience at all with Axis -- and this is really what your questions sound like they relate to.) I'd recommend doing some super-simple, static content web application as a means to see that Tomcat itself works. And I'd recommend learning how to play with postgres directly on a command line to make sure that works. (Just tying those two pieces together can waste a day of your time ... and you really have to understand those parts and the various jargon to know what extra layers axis is piling on.)
About | Sitemap | Contact