dcsimg
Import XMI from Visual Paradigm failure to Eclipse caused by UML 1.x/2.x support issue?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Kim_McGarghan
Posted On:   Friday, June 6, 2008 09:22 AM

We bought Visual Paradigm to draw diagrams, and were assured we'd be able, if need be, to convert the XMI to XML in either Eclipse or Visio, which are the preferred tools used by our client. [We need to supply the client with editable overview, golden path, and alternate path collaboration diagrams.] We cannot get Visio to import the drawings. We wrote Visual Paradigm about the problem, and they initially encouraged us to try in Eclipse and in MyEclipse. Having done so, we find that we cannot get either Eclipse or MyEclipse to import the diagrams as diagrams either, although both programs do 'see' the attributes and elements as XML. We wrote Visual Paradigm about the problem again, and this is wha   More>>

We bought Visual Paradigm to draw diagrams, and were assured we'd be able, if need be, to convert the XMI to XML in either Eclipse or Visio, which are the preferred tools used by our client. [We need to supply the client with editable overview, golden path, and alternate path collaboration diagrams.]

We cannot get Visio to import the drawings. We wrote Visual Paradigm about the problem, and they initially encouraged us to try in Eclipse and in MyEclipse.

Having done so, we find that we cannot get either Eclipse or MyEclipse to import the diagrams as diagrams either, although both programs do 'see' the attributes and elements as XML.

We wrote Visual Paradigm about the problem again, and this is what they said:

"Subject [#ZZQ-732542]: problems with XMI

Our engineers had investigated on your problem but unfortunately didn't able to find you the solution. We have tried the MyEclipse and seems MyEclipse is still using UML 1.x (but our diagrams are UML 2.1). I think that's the reason why they cannot import our XMI.

We also tried an alternative solution, which is eclipse uml2tool plugin. Eclipse uml2tool was able to import our model (XMI 2.1 for UML2), and re-construct the diagram based on the model (the diagram layout will be different). But it's shame that they do not support sequence diagram and communication/collaboration diagram.

Therefore currently there is no way to import our model (communication diagram) into eclipse in editable way. We are very sorry about this. If you need any help, please do not hesitate to contact me."

Does anyone know of a way we can get those diagrams exported successfully AS editable diagrams to Eclipse, MyEclipse, Visio, or some other widely-used tool?

--kmcgarghan @ csc.com, kmcgarghan @ yahoo.com

<<Less

Re: Import XMI from Visual Paradigm failure to Eclipse caused by UML 1.x/2.x support issue?

Posted By:   Stephen_McConnell  
Posted On:   Friday, June 6, 2008 09:58 AM

I wish I did. There are some REALLY expensive tools out there through IBM's Rational Series (Which uses the Eclipse Framework), but not at the cost level of MyEclipse.

The problem is developing and maintaining UML diagraming and "round trip" software is difficult and expensive, especially as Java changes quickly and UML changes quickly or goes through a "quantum" change as from UML1 to UML2.

I wish you good luck with it all. I'm just thankful for MyEclipse and their support of UML. Not being a large, rich company, I can't afford to buy IBM software. If you find something, or someone else knows of something that will do it, PLEASE post it.

Stephen McConnell

About | Sitemap | Contact