Newbie: Help using parts of UML as a general decision making tool and linking Use Cases to other use case diagrams.
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   David_Thomas
Posted On:   Friday, May 30, 2008 01:01 AM

Hey all My first question: It there a way in the NetBeans UML to link from a Use Case or an Actor to another Use Case diagram that further defines the first Use Case. Is that even a logic implementation of a Use Case diagram? My plan: Use UML as a decision making/planning tool in my life. Ask people for help when needed to figure out what feature to use to represent what I want instead of trying to learn all of UML in one fell swoop. I'm not expecting people to teach me UML but I think I'll be able to use pointers to what aspect of UML to research next to get what I want done. The whys: Why UML I have    More>>

Hey all

My first question:

It there a way in the NetBeans UML to link from a Use Case or an Actor to another Use Case diagram that further defines the first Use Case. Is that even a logic implementation of a Use Case diagram?

My plan:

• Use UML as a decision making/planning tool in my life.

• Ask people for help when needed to figure out what feature to use to represent what I want instead of trying to learn all of UML in one fell swoop. I'm not expecting people to teach me UML but I think I'll be able to use pointers to what aspect of UML to research next to get what I want done.

The whys:

Why UML

• I have a disability that seems to effect my ability to go from what's in my head to making plans to getting things done. Having things readable in an organized fashion seems to help a lot. Just linking use cases with simple arrows seem like a huge improvement to me over outlining in MS Word. Getting a Palm Pilot for to dos' was life changing. However it doesn't help me with planning and decision making much. The UML tools in NetBeans (using it for JAVA anyway) seem like they'll fit the bill.

• Representations that don't reflect well the logic of the actual system/ideas (spoken, written. etc.) can distract me and can cause me a bit of discomfort. It seems like UML will be able to represent my plans in thoughts in a manner that makes sense and hopefully will be pleasant to me.

• I want to learn UML in the long run for programming anyway (Slowly killing 2 birds with 1 stone).

Why learn incrementally.

• I think I'll see most of the benefits with a small subset of UML.
  • It make more sense for my life to me to improve my efficiency first and learn the bulk of UML later.

Where I'm at:

I understand basic OO concepts and have learned some very basic UML (A few tutorials) and have taken JAVA and a few other programming languages.

If anyone thinks I'm nuts speak up I won't take offense just tell me why. I'm just a man looking for a way to record and organize my thoughts in a way that makes sense to me so I can look over them when needed. Mind mapping software may be the way to go. I just don't know enough yet about what UML is capable of, it just looks beautiful to me so far ... everything a boy could want to plot the path to being a masseur for the Swedish bikini team.

Any suggestions with an argument behind them are welcome.

Have fun,

David

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact