what is the best eclipse choice
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   kbird_g
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:14 AM

hi dudes,

when i tried to download eclipse(for java) for.
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
i find many choices. i am little bit confused with what is the best choice to go with.

Can anybody advice me on your experience. what is the best choice to go with.

Thanks

Re: what is the best eclipse choice

Posted By:   Stephen_McConnell  
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:12 PM

What do you plan to do with Eclipse?

• The Eclipse IDE for Java Developers is meant for those that are just developing Java Applications. Usually just stand alone desktop apps. It's a great way to learn Java and the Eclipse paradigm.

• The IDE for Java EE Developers has a lot of Web and Enterprise Development Tools built in. If you want to use it for Webn Development or EJB development... this is the package.

• Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers. Do you plan to do C/C++ development? If so, you want this IDE.

• Eclipse RCP/Plug-in Development... Eclipse is a program framework. You can develop programs that use Eclipse as its Menu handling, graphic handling etc etc by developing plugins. If you plan to develop Plugins to add to Eclipse Functionality.. then you want this IDE.

• Eclipse Classic... It has the basic Java Development tools...

The nice thing, however is through the Eclipse Update Manager, you can install ANY of these features in any of the packages.

For example, I use the Eclipse Classic. I have downloaded and installed MyEclipse IDE plugin which gives me Java EE development and Swing development packages. I have also added (in the same Eclipse Instance) PHPEclipse that gives me the ability to develop and debug PHP programs. AND I have the C/C++ Developer Plugins.... I added the last just to see if I could do it and if it would work.... It does.... (I work on an Apple, so I prefer the IDE that comes with Apple for C/C++ and Objective C development).

There are other plugins for Python and Rails and Aspect J... really whatever you want.

If you want to do Java EE development, I would suggest the Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers. It seems to have all built in (except Plug-in Development.... and you can add it later.)

That's really the beauty of Eclipse... great modularity and plug-ins galore..

AND IT'S FREE!!!!

Hope you enjoy it.

Stephen McConnell

About | Sitemap | Contact