dcsimg
Which UML diagram to use
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   harry_volvo
Posted On:   Thursday, April 24, 2008 06:51 AM

Hi, i am creating a cms for community web sites. there is the admin section, user section and a lot of features. i am now trying to create a design document n i thought of drawing sequence diagrams for it. bt the problem is, i dont understand for which processes should i do it as there are so many things that an admin or a user can choose to do like: admin can-> create more admins, edit site, edit features, change user/feature privileges,.... etc user can-> login, edit profile, send/read/edit/delete messages, images, communities and the same with a lot of other features. so i am not sure how to represent all this. which uml diagram should i use to best fit my need??    More>>

Hi,
i am creating a cms for community web sites. there is the admin section, user section and a lot of features.

i am now trying to create a design document n i thought of drawing sequence diagrams for it. bt the problem is, i dont understand for which processes should i do it as there are so many things that an admin or a user can choose to do like:
admin can-> create more admins, edit site, edit features, change user/feature privileges,.... etc

user can-> login, edit profile, send/read/edit/delete messages, images, communities and the same with a lot of other features.

so i am not sure how to represent all this.

which uml diagram should i use to best fit my need??

<<Less

Re: Which UML diagram to use

Posted By:   Stephen_McConnell  
Posted On:   Thursday, April 24, 2008 02:10 PM

You probably want to start with a Use Case. Each Use Case takes care of ONE function that a User can do (login, edit profile, send message, read message, etc etc).

Then, you would create a Sequence diagram for each Use Case.

You are on the right track and Sequence diagrams are not designed to to take care of ALL the things that can happen in all cases with just one diagram. They start the action the user takes to perform an action, then show the Object communication from object to object necessary to carry out that action.

There are some good tutorials on UML diagrams out there... you can do a Google Search on Use Cases and Sequence Diagram tutorials and get more specifics.

Hope this helps.

Stephen McConnell

About | Sitemap | Contact