Upgrading JDK version in a desktop application
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Tuesday, February 12, 2008 04:09 AM

Hi All, We have a desktop application installed in no.of client machines. This application is distributed to all the clients as an exe, which will contain Embeded tomcat & jdk1.3.1. Now we wanted to upgrade the JDK in all the client systems by giving some patch kind of exe to them to run, which should automatically needs to upgrade their JDK to a latest version. The application is tested in the later versions of jdk1.3.1 and have no issues. I am not clear how to do this. I need some clarification on following questions... 1. If simply download the latest jdk and kept it in my patch and when client start executing it, it should delete the old jdk and replace it there, will t   More>>

Hi All,

We have a desktop application installed in no.of client machines. This application is distributed to all the clients as an exe, which will contain Embeded tomcat & jdk1.3.1.

Now we wanted to upgrade the JDK in all the client systems by giving some patch kind of exe to them to run, which should automatically needs to upgrade their JDK to a latest version.

The application is tested in the later versions of jdk1.3.1 and have no issues. I am not clear how to do this. I need some clarification on following questions...

1. If simply download the latest jdk and kept it in my patch and when client start executing it, it should delete the old jdk and replace it there, will this work and be treated as a upgraded ?

2. Do i need to compile all the java files after upgrading the jdk on client machine ??

Please suggest me wat can i do to achive this. Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Krishna A.

<<Less

Re: Upgrading JDK version in a desktop application

Posted By:   Robert_Lybarger  
Posted On:   Tuesday, February 12, 2008 08:54 AM

No, just having the installer run on a new JDK will not remove the previous version. You would need to specifically craft a windows installer executable that communicated this fact to the windows system, to get the changes picked up in 'add/remove programs'. You will probably have to find a more windows-specific forum to get better details there. Also, if you are a business (or even if you aren't) you should be *very careful* about the licensing of the java environment you are including ... namely, whether you are legally allowed to do so or not.
About | Sitemap | Contact