dcsimg
How to create a link to a video that uses javascript to call
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Belinda_Stringer
Posted On:   Thursday, May 24, 2007 07:05 PM

How can I create a link to a video that uses javascript to call the video? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is the javascript they are using:

javascript:msnvDwd('00','fda5aec6-5250-43c2-936f-dfac1ec2033d','us','hotvideo_m_edpicks','','msnbc','','18841273','A new way to work from home')

It is linked from this page:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12065856/

Not sure how to create a link to the javascript. Any help?

Best to you and yours,
Belinda

Re: How to create a link to a video that uses javascript to call

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Monday, May 28, 2007 12:15 PM

Presumably the "msnvDwd" is a Javascript function that is declared in the response page that you get back from your www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12065856 URl. Either it's declared inline in a script tag in that response page, or it's declared in a .js file, that is referenced by some script tag in that response page.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do what you want (bypass the initial response page, and just go directly to the video?); it depends how their code is written, how much local state it assumes and uses. So you'll have to grab a copy, and study its source.

Might be a fun exercise, even if what you want to do is not possible; at least you might learn something, from studying their pages. (or maybe not! :-)

My guess (?) is that IF they (msnbc web app programmers) want to allow you to directly reference the video, you'll be able to figure it out, from examining their code, because it will be fairly simple. And if they DON'T want you to directly reference the video, you'll see this soon too, because studying the code will just lead you through confusing and complicated indirections and things, that get you stuck.
About | Sitemap | Contact