How can I use the JavaMail API to monitor tracking opened emails and open and click-through rates.
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Khalid_Chaudhry
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 25, 2007 05:03 AM

I've been asked to create a bulk email campaign application which will take a list of emails and send them out with a custom message.

This part is no problem and I have achieved this. The features that I need some help in are :

1. The tracking of who opened emails and what links they clicked on.

2. The reporting on stats including open and click-through rates.

I understand that there is no short answer to this however if you could even point me to some example code or a site with tips I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How can I use the JavaMail API to monitor tracking opened emails and open and click-through rates.

Posted On:   Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:47 AM

Well thanks for all your help (not).

I was able to find the answers to my questions myself and
they were indeed outwith the JavaMail API.

Re: How can I use the JavaMail API to monitor tracking opened emails and open and click-through rates.

Posted On:   Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:28 AM

WarnerJan - Thanks for your reply. I work for a company called BuildStore Ltd ( www.buildstore.co.uk ) and you are correct; we only send email to customers who have already paid for a subscription who opt-in. We have an obligation to keep them up to date and, since we are not a charity, we need a channel to get our new products out to them and feedback from this We have had a bulkemail application for years and just need to enhance it.

We use bulk email to inform them of updates to subs, new plots of land for sale etc. In 5 years we have not reveived one complaint from our customers. If anything they find this information useful.

Robert - I agree with you. But spam is abolutely not our business. Helping people find land, build their own homes and finding finance is our business and we do not send unsolicited emails at all.

Have a look at our website to understand the nature of our business in which we have over six thousand legitimate users who appreciate the information that we pass to them.

Posted By:   Robert_Lybarger  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 25, 2007 08:25 AM

Indeed -- this stinks of unsolicited e-mail (spam), and while I have indeed heard of a few techniques that might, in certain limited cases, help you get such stats, I will NOT share them. Contributing knowledge to anything spam-ish goes against my moral compass.

Posted By:   WarnerJan_Veldhuis  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 25, 2007 06:21 AM

Good luck finding people who support spam software creators. It's probably a in-company, selected people, opt-in list only, but still, we would never know, would we?
About | Sitemap | Contact