Problems with AJAX programmer
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Matt_Brown
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 8, 2006 11:04 PM

Hey guys. I have a question for you. I hire a guy to create the reservation form (PHP) for my new website - www.myrtlebeachtransportation.com. The reservation form have 7 steps and instead of going from page to page (creating 7 pages) I have ask him to create it so only the reservation form to reload after 'Next' click not the whole html page. He did so by using AJAX programming (whatever that means). Currently I have 1 reservation.php page and 7 html pages for step1 to step7. Here is my problem. I can't edit those 7 pages. I can't make any changes to the reservation.php either. I am trying to redesign the pages but any changes I do compromise the script and the form stop working or I get some bugs. This way I will never be able to make an   More>>

Hey guys.

I have a question for you. I hire a guy to create the reservation form (PHP) for my new website - www.myrtlebeachtransportation.com. The reservation form have 7 steps and instead of going from page to page (creating 7 pages) I have ask him to create it so only the reservation form to reload after 'Next' click not the whole html page. He did so by using AJAX programming (whatever that means). Currently I have 1 reservation.php page and 7 html pages for step1 to step7.

Here is my problem. I can't edit those 7 pages. I can't make any changes to the reservation.php either. I am trying to redesign the pages but any changes I do compromise the script and the form stop working or I get some bugs. This way I will never be able to make any changes to my pages. He has told me that this is because of the AJAX programming, but I don't believe him.
Is it true? What do you think? And if so what are my options? how can I make changes to my pages without having bugs. I am just changing the design. Sometime even I took a smal code out Class="text" and my reservation form stop working. The problem is not in the changes I make. The problem is in the uploading. He has told me that when I download the new page from the server, make my change to it and click the 'Save' button that's causing problem to the script, so when I upload the page back to the server I get bugs.

<<Less

Re: Problems with AJAX programmer

Posted By:   Donald_Ravey  
Posted On:   Monday, August 21, 2006 07:43 PM

Matt, of course, nobody can tell whether your programmer is being open with you, but from what you said, I don't see any reason to question his explanations.

It sounds like you have learned to use some HTML editor or Web Page Design software, but you indicated that you don't know anything about Ajax. That may be your problem. An Ajax solution to a web presentation involves both the HTML file that is sent to the browser -AND- the PHP or other server side script that never leaves the server. If you meddle with the HTML file, you may change something that the PHP script depends on, and that would certainly break the page.

It seems you have only two choices: (1) trust your programmer's skills (or find another Ajax programmer) and be willing to pay him for them; or (2) give up your goal of having an interactive web page without reloading new HTML each time. I'm afraid this is a case where you can't have your cake and eat it too.

About | Sitemap | Contact