concern with con-currency :
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   madz_humour
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:45 PM

Hope anyone can help with this I have read many articles regarding on concurrency issue with Lucene and it seems to be thread safe. Despite the fact, I am still concerned that a web-application may have millions of people searching at a moment. Here are some questions that concerns me: 1. While a user is searching and at the same time the index is created, will the search still continue? 2. Can millions of people may search all at the same time? 3. When the index is being populated(updated) while searching is happening, can the system able to know that the index is being updated and it has to wait search till updates are being populated ? There are lots of websites suggesting to release the    More>>

Hope anyone can help with this

I have read many articles regarding on concurrency issue with Lucene and it seems to be thread safe. Despite the fact, I am still concerned that a web-application may have millions of people searching at a moment.

Here are some questions that concerns me:

1. While a user is searching and at the same time the index is created, will the search still continue?

2. Can millions of people may search all at the same time?

3. When the index is being populated(updated) while searching is happening, can the system able to know that the index is being updated and it has to wait search till updates are being populated ?

There are lots of websites suggesting to release the lock but I am still confused with how to go about doing it.

Hope to hear from anyone. Thanks.

<<Less

Re: concern with con-currency :

Posted By:   Otis_Gospodnetic  
Posted On:   Thursday, April 13, 2006 08:00 PM

This is all answered here (section 2.9.1. of Lucene in Action).
In short: 1 & 2: yes. 3: you have to re-open your IndexSearcher periodically. No locking needed. Read that section of Lucene in Action, and it will all be very clear.
About | Sitemap | Contact