Can the one I'm chatting with detect my IP address?
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Genevieve_Uy
Posted On:   Friday, November 25, 2005 03:00 AM

Please accomodate this inquiry of mine. Thanks>

Re: Can the one I'm chatting with detect my IP address?

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Sunday, December 11, 2005 05:40 AM

pls send me a software which i can detect location whos chatting with me.

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 29, 2005 08:21 AM

Being doing something you shouldn't perhaps? ;-)

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Saturday, November 26, 2005 04:22 PM

...is there a span of time needed to be able to detect the IP address or location of the chatter...

You mean, like in spy movies or spy TV shows, where they're trying to keep someone on the phone long enough to trace the source of their call, and they show a computer screen with a progress bar, showing how close they are to the source? (Marshall telling Sydney Bristow, just keep him talking for another 30 seconds and we'll have him nailed :-)

Posted By:   Almagest_FUTT  
Posted On:   Friday, November 25, 2005 03:33 AM

Very improbable:

• If you're communicating via a server (as opposed to a P2P architecture), your opposite would have to have access to that server (and to the chat program running on it).

• If you're communicating directly, via P2P, your opposite could run some packet sniffer.
    • If you're behind a proxy, he won't get further than that.

• If you're not, he may get your IP.

• Knowing someone's IP does not mean knowing where he is. Even if your opposite had special knowledge about such things, he could at most find out in which city you live/use your computer.

• Knowing someone's IP does not at all mean being able to access his computer, even less being able to give it instructions.
        If you're behing a proxy, there's, AFAIK, no way to get to your machine.
        If you're not, your machine better be firewalled. And then, even if some ports are open (like port 80 often is), that doesn't necessarily mean being able to do anything.

Have you done something "bad" ? Or do you want to do something "bad" :-) ?
About | Sitemap | Contact