Eclipse 3.1 jsp : lookup indexes... doing my head in!!!
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   damo_kensi
Posted On:   Thursday, November 24, 2005 04:31 AM

Hi, we've recently upgraded to 3.1 and one of the new features I've noticed is the JSP Search when you lookup References on a method name, class etc. What I want to know is how do I turn it off? We've got all our code in 2 totally seperate projects, that is client side which includes jsp's in one and server side which are only java classes in the other. I've tried restricting references to only a specified working set which clearly doesn't have jsp's but to no avail, every single time I do a reference on anything it finds the relevant references in seconds which is fine but then the search dialog changes to the JSP Search with the description lookup indexes under the progress bar. I've hit the cancel button on this which is ignored, then clicked the run in background b   More>>

Hi, we've recently upgraded to 3.1 and one of the new features I've noticed is the JSP Search when you lookup References on a method name, class etc. What I want to know is how do I turn it off? We've got all our code in 2 totally seperate projects, that is client side which includes jsp's in one and server side which are only java classes in the other. I've tried restricting references to only a specified working set which clearly doesn't have jsp's but to no avail, every single time I do a reference on anything it finds the relevant references in seconds which is fine but then the search dialog changes to the JSP Search with the description lookup indexes under the progress bar. I've hit the cancel button on this which is ignored, then clicked the run in background button, then clicked the progress tab and hit the stop button on the search which then changes from red to greyed out. However the search continues for at least 20/30 seconds after this before freeing resources. This might not sound like a lot but when you are trying to work you way through a call from bottom to top which may involve a path of 30 calls or so, having to go through the above ridiculous steps for each and every reference lookup makes the whole thing painful in the extreme! I've tried the Ecilpse help, no mention of this feature, googled it to no avail, searched through preferences to try and find some toggle to switch it off but no joy. At this stage I'm starting to do any references searchs in a text editor it takes so long but obviously this is not the optimum solution. Has anyone noticed this and the performance hit it results in?, more importantly, does anyone know how to turn the damn thing off???

Another thing, is it just me or has every other operation (i.e refactor->rename) gone really really slow? And why is it 3.1 seems to think it is the only application you'll ever have open on your desktop and as such is perfectly entitled to 100% of your CPU and up to 1gb or so of your ram? I've seen this on a wide range of operations, from refactoring to just closing Eclipse down! Bring back version 3, all is forgiven!!!

Thanks in advance    <<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact