Product design tips
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Rohit_Prabhakar
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 8, 2005 03:45 PM

Hi We are designing a product using J2EE and ORACLE. This product has one main branch that is CORE, for every customer we will make some customization. These customization are most of the times very complex that they need around 600 man hours on average for all big clients. Currently what we do it in a way that in CVS we have a main CORE, for every client we create a branch to be customized as per client needs. After completing the customization whenever we try to merge this branch to the CORE, the core breaks. If we donot merge this causes the CORE to become stale as the customized branches are more evolved and this is the biggest challenge. I am looking for some design tips that help me to take care of the following: CORE alway   More>>

Hi

We are designing a product using J2EE and ORACLE. This product has one main branch that is CORE, for every customer we will make some customization. These customization are most of the times very complex that they need around 600 man hours on average for all big clients. Currently what we do it in a way that in CVS we have a main CORE, for every client we create a branch to be customized as per client needs. After completing the customization whenever we try to merge this branch to the CORE, the core breaks. If we donot merge this causes the CORE to become stale as the customized branches are more evolved and this is the biggest challenge.

I am looking for some design tips that help me to take care of the following:
CORE always evolves.
All major customizations that are as per industry standards should be corporated to the CORE and becomes a part of CORE.
All client specific customization should not happen to CORE but on the CORE. We keep the CORE intact and do the customizations on the top.
Ability to switch ON/OFF customizations for varied clients.

I am also looking for some unit testing design guidelines, where I have test cases for CORE as well as the customizations. Now the questions that I am looking for better answers are:
When to have the unit test cases, before code development or after the development. (Ideally before, but I know very less often we do this)
How to switch off the unit test cases for the customizations switched off for a client?
How to write test cases that work equally great on core as well as the customizations?

Hope I get some well implemented design tips from you and it will be great if you can provide me with why-to with all your suggestions.

Thanks
Rohit Prabhakar

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact