A callback corba client crashes the server on client exit
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   James_Chuck
Posted On:   Monday, October 24, 2005 03:45 AM

A server maintains an ArrayList of all clients that have registered themselves as callbacks to the server. However when a client is terminated by a user (clients are executed using the commandline (java -jar client.jar)) The reference in the server is obviously dead. A Thread constantly runs over the arraylist and performs operations on the client and if it hits a dead client it crashes. How can I check if a client is dead without performing a method call on it in CORBA (Java Implementation)? I have tried adding a ShutDownHook on the client to deregister but this doesnt work. I am slowly going insane please help    More>>

A server maintains an ArrayList of all clients that have registered themselves as callbacks to the server. However when a client is terminated by a user (clients are executed using the commandline (java -jar client.jar)) The reference in the server is obviously dead.

A Thread constantly runs over the arraylist and performs operations on the client and if it hits a dead client it crashes.

How can I check if a client is dead without performing a method call on it in CORBA (Java Implementation)?

I have tried adding a ShutDownHook on the client to deregister but this doesnt work. I am slowly going insane please help

<<Less

Re: A callback corba client crashes the server on client exit

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:09 AM

Henning and Vinoski call this the Pacific Ocean Problem. Also see this interesting thread in comp.object.corba, especially Henning's reply about using callbacks.

There's some useful detail and code available from Duncan Grisby's site, on the evictor pattern.

I recommend to people reading jguru to try comp.object.corba, especially if the questions are general CORBA issues like this rather than Java ORB implementation details. Further, there are many interesting threads and you will often get replies from experts such as Michi Henning, and folks from Iona and Borland.

About | Sitemap | Contact