IP address and multicasting
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   zach_wolrab
Posted On:   Friday, October 14, 2005 04:59 PM

I would like to push about 30 files from one Solaris server to 3 other Solaris servers: 1 on the local LAN and 2 over the WAN. These files add up to a several gigabytes and I would prefer to send them over a multicasted socket rather than send them to each server one at a time. The MulticastSocket javadoc says that "A multicast group is specified by a class D IP address and by a standard UDP port number. Class D IP addresses are in the range 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255, inclusive." Does that mean that if our server's IP addresses are in the 173.x.x.x range multicasting simply will not work? Is there any way around that other than binding a 224.x.x.x address to the NIC whenever we need to multicast something   More>>

I would like to push about 30 files from one Solaris server to 3 other Solaris servers: 1 on the local LAN and 2 over the WAN. These files add up to a several gigabytes and I would prefer to send them over a multicasted socket rather than send them to each server one at a time.

The MulticastSocket javadoc says that "A multicast group is specified by a class D IP address and by a standard UDP port number. Class D IP addresses are in the range 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255, inclusive."

Does that mean that if our server's IP addresses are in the 173.x.x.x range multicasting simply will not work? Is there any way around that other than binding a 224.x.x.x address to the NIC whenever we need to multicast something?

Also, it is my impression that java multicasting across the WAN to the 2 servers would send only one packet across the WAN which would then be duplicated at the remote LAN and sent to both servers. I just want to confirm that doing all of this will reduce the bandwidth requirement.

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions!

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact