Logging configuration in Tomcat 5.5.9
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Tim_Kannenberg
Posted On:   Friday, September 16, 2005 02:41 PM

Under Tomcat 4.x, I was taking advantage of the ability to define a for each to create separate log files for each web application on a server. One of the nice things about this approach was that the path to the log files was specified in the context fragment, not in a file that's part of the web app. That was useful because I need to deploy the app on several servers whose directory structures aren't identical; once the context fragments were correcly set up on each server, I could build new versions of the app and deploy the same build to each server without having to customize any log settings in the app itself. In Tomcat 5.5.9, however, I can't figure out how to accomplish the same thing. I have succeeded in creating separate log f   More>>

Under Tomcat 4.x, I was taking advantage of the ability to define a for each to create separate log files for each web application on a server. One of the nice things about this approach was that the path to the log files was specified in the context fragment, not in a file that's part of the web app. That was useful because I need to deploy the app on several servers whose directory structures aren't identical; once the context fragments were correcly set up on each server, I could build new versions of the app and deploy the same build to each server without having to customize any log settings in the app itself.

In Tomcat 5.5.9, however, I can't figure out how to accomplish the same thing. I have succeeded in creating separate log files for each app by creating a JULI logging.properties file in the WEB-INF/classes directory for each app, but the log file paths specified in those files are absolute pathnames, and I have to customize them for each server each time I need to deploy a new release of the app. Is there any way to configure the classloader-specific JULI log managers with information defined at the context level, to simulate the behavior of earlier Tomcat versions?

Tim

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact