Moderation, netiquette etc.
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Jani_Kaarela
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 2, 2005 03:22 AM

The signal-to-noise ratio here on JGuru is getting worse and worse. Double (triple, quadruple...) and cross posting, incomprehensible and unformatted messages are becoming the norm. The majority of questions beg for a loud and rude RTFM! , and a sizable portion of the rest are written so poorly and uncomprehensibly, that even understanding the question is quite a mental exercise... Are there any plans for a working moderation system? I'm not suggesting paid moderators (which would be simply unrealistic), but a slashdot-esque user-driven moderation. With time, I'm sure some users could be given at least some moderator privileges and thus be able to temporarily ban users who are multi/cross posting or otherwise displaying a compl   More>>

The signal-to-noise ratio here on JGuru is getting worse and worse. Double (triple, quadruple...) and cross posting, incomprehensible and unformatted messages are becoming the norm. The majority of questions beg for a loud and rude RTFM! , and a sizable portion of the rest are written so poorly and uncomprehensibly, that even understanding the question is quite a mental exercise...

Are there any plans for a working moderation system? I'm not suggesting paid moderators (which would be simply unrealistic), but a slashdot-esque user-driven moderation. With time, I'm sure some users could be given at least some moderator privileges and thus be able to temporarily ban users who are multi/cross posting or otherwise displaying a complete disregard of netiquette.

Comments?

<<Less

Re: Moderation, netiquette etc.

Posted By:   Jani_Kaarela  
Posted On:   Thursday, August 11, 2005 04:48 AM

I think The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory may be onto something...

Re: Moderation, netiquette etc.

Posted By:   WarnerJan_Veldhuis  
Posted On:   Tuesday, August 2, 2005 04:15 AM

I sooo agree with you.... Most of the questions that are asked, really hit the limits of what a normal person can understand. Usually pasting the question in Google yields enough results to solve the problem. :(

On the other hand, I doubt that moderating these forums is of any help. If you look at the names of the persons asking all the "funny" questions, you can see that 99% is one-time-visitor only (probably doing a URGENT home-work assigment due tomorrow PLS HLP :) ). But I still want to give it a try. I hereby volunteer as moderator :) Is there a "moderator-manifest" that states when to kill a thread (pun intended), when to warn the OP, etc?
About | Sitemap | Contact