Applet - Out Of Memory in IE
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Sanjay_Ambardar
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 7, 2005 06:14 AM

I have a web based application that uses applet. The application refreshes after some predefined interval and subsequently applet refreshes as well. When the applet was loaded first time some objects were loaded with it in IE JVM. After each refresh same objects are again loaded. What I mean to say is that there are no new objects which means that the IE JVM memory should not increase. Also my Applet's destroy method is called everytime the browser refreshes. but unfortunately , at each refresh the IE JVM memory consumption increases and soon I have out of memory situation. From a web site I learnt that it was a problem with SUN's JVM and that the problem had been fixed in JDK 1.4.2_04 . I switched to this one but the problem is same. Please help .    More>>

I have a web based application that uses applet. The application refreshes after some predefined interval and subsequently applet refreshes as well. When the applet was loaded first time some objects were loaded with it in IE JVM. After each refresh same objects are again loaded. What I mean to say is that there are no new objects which means that the IE JVM memory should not increase. Also my Applet's destroy method is called everytime the browser refreshes. but unfortunately , at each refresh the IE JVM memory consumption increases and soon I have out of memory situation. From a web site I learnt that it was a problem with SUN's JVM and that the problem had been fixed in JDK 1.4.2_04 . I switched to this one but the problem is same. Please help .

<<Less

Same garbage collector bug with java 1.5.0_03 and MS IE

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 28, 2005 04:41 AM

The garbage collector of the JVM does not work properly with applets on IE6.

I have written a slideshow applet, which - in short words - loads an image, scales it to screen-size, and loads the next image when one clicks on the applet.

When using the applet in Internet Explorer 6, the memory allocated by an image is never freed. After about 30-40 images, more tham 100 MB are allocated by the JVM and the JVW crashes throwing an OutOfMemoryError.

The same Applet runs fine on Netscape and Mozilla and also in the standalone applet viewer. Here, the memory allocated is always between 8 and 25 MB, even after sliding through hundreds of images.

I have also tested the applet with BEA's JVM JRockit 1.5.0_02. Same results: IE6 crashes, all other browsers work fine.

It seems to be a bug of the garbage collector, which - however - only occurs when applets run on IE.

I've posted this to SUN, hoping they could give me a workaround to influence the cacheing-behaviour of the JVW. (Image.flush() does not solve the problem.) No answer yet.
About | Sitemap | Contact