Networking Problems with XP -- Please help
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Aaron_Bernstein
Posted On:   Sunday, April 10, 2005 03:38 PM

I have been setting up a network for a small office. I have 5 client computers that need to share files. I have set up: 1) Simple file sharing on all the machines 2) Put local users to match the computers on all the other machines 3) Put all the users in the Power Users group 4) Created a new share in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) which allows Power Users Now two computers recognize the file with no problem, they login with the password that I have set up for them. The others get an error message which states that the user doesn't have access privileges to view them. The only way that they are able to see the folder is if I allow access to the super grou   More>>

I have been setting up a network for a small office. I have 5 client computers that need to share files.

I have set up:

1) Simple file sharing on all the machines

2) Put local users to match the computers on all the other machines

3) Put all the users in the Power Users group

4) Created a new share in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) which allows Power Users

Now two computers recognize the file with no problem, they login with the password that I have set up for them. The others get an error message which states that the user doesn't have access privileges to view them. The only way that they are able to see the folder is if I allow access to the super group "everyone". Unfortunately, this completely defeats the purpose of file security. The only thing that I notice is that when I look into the Shares folder in the MMC it registers different computers as guests. There is a column with a heading of Guest; anyone who has a "Yes" by their account has this problem. The two computers that register "No" work fine.

I did not install the OS onto the machines. So I don't know if that would affect anything.

I don't have access to the Domain or Active Directory Services due to the building that we are located in has an IT Department that manages the Domain.

The guest user is disabled.

The things that I have tried are:

1) Delete and re-establish the Workgroup

2) Delete and re-establish the Users

3) Delete and re-establish the Shares

4) Checked the Patch Console, Hub, and Switch

5) Tested physical connectivity

6) Ran some commands in the Command Prompt on local machines trying to establish connections and making sure that the settings were correct. I couldn't see anything that specifically said anything about GUEST.

The commands that I ran were as follows:

> PING – Returned fine

> NETSTAT – Returned values were fine

> NBTSTAT – All unique types were registered

> NSLOOKUP – Could see others fine

> TRACERT – One hop no drops

> IPCONFIG – Registered values were fine

> NET – Checked all the sub actions in NET, everything looks fine

I set up all the computers on the network and the first one worked perfectly. I followed the same steps in the other machines but they only communicate one way. That is that my computer can access their machines but they don't have access to the folders on my machine which I am trying to share.

I need help please...............

<<Less

Re: Networking Problems with XP -- Please help

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Thursday, April 14, 2005 06:34 PM

And this is a Java question because... ?
About | Sitemap | Contact