Design of Firewall
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   raghukumar_kasa
Posted On:   Monday, January 31, 2005 09:17 PM

I am Designing an Application Firewall.For that i am designing a proxy server. I have to capture the packets(both INbound and Outbound) blocking them from the server.What should i do to block the packets?.I have gota Java API named JPCAP but using those classes I can only capture the packets but I cant block themfrom going toserver.Please get me a solution.
thanking u.

Raghu Kumar,
Andhra University,
Vizag,
andhrapradesh.

Re: Design of Firewall

Posted By:   raja_sekhar  
Posted On:   Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:16 AM

Hi.........

I am also facing the same prob buddy.I am able to capture packets usng jpcap.But i am finding any library thru which i can block the network packets.jpcap is useful to capture packets.If u knw the answer plzzzzzzzzz.....inform me
at the following mail id "rajasekhar_vengala@yahoo.co.in"

regds,
raj

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:08 PM

I don't know anything about JPCAP but if I were writing a firewall then I would develop it in C or C++ and only after reading Richard Steven's books on TCP/IP and Unix network programming; the contents of which are still useful for Windows programmers. Java does not give you access to the individual packets themselves and making JNI calls will slow you down. A firewall needs to work transparently i.e. you do not want it to introduce undue latency into your network operations.

Regards.

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Friday, February 4, 2005 07:40 AM

huh? You ("firewall") have to be running on a router, where you have two network interfaces, one to the outside world, another to your internal network, and you have to be the only one who can pass packets back and forth between them (no other route, from internal hosts to the outside world), so you get to decide what do, when you examine the packets.
About | Sitemap | Contact