Thread pausing in a Frame animation
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   D_Bratton
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 19, 2005 09:52 AM

Hello, I'm attempting to get a basic animation going in a Frame with the ability to pause the thread using the space bar. Attempting to be a good, compliant Java programmer, I'm using Sun's advice on how to accomplish this with wait() and notify() , rather than the oh-so-evil suspend() and resume() . Here's the necessary bits of code: Class Animation extends Frame implements Runnable { private volatile Thread animThread; private volatile boolean animThreadSuspended; Animation() { addMouseListener( new MouseAdapter() { public synchronized void mousePressed(MouseEvent e)    More>>

Hello,

I'm attempting to get a basic animation going in a Frame with the ability to pause the thread using the space bar. Attempting to be a good, compliant Java programmer, I'm using Sun's advice on how to accomplish this with wait() and notify() , rather than the oh-so-evil suspend() and resume() .

Here's the necessary bits of code:

Class Animation extends Frame implements Runnable
{
private volatile Thread animThread;
private volatile boolean animThreadSuspended;

Animation()
{
addMouseListener(
new MouseAdapter()
{
public synchronized void mousePressed(MouseEvent e)
{
e.consume();
animThreadSuspended = !animThreadSuspended;
if(!animThreadSuspended)
{
notify();
}
}
});

animThread = new Thread(this);
animThread.start();
}

public void run()
{
while(true)
{
try
{
synchronized(this)
{
if(animThreadsSuspended)
{
wait();
}
}
}
catch(InterruptedException ie){}
repaint();
}
}
}

There is, of course, a lot more to it, but these are the parts giving me trouble. As near as I can tell, notify() in the MouseListener is not being called on the same object that wait() is waiting on in the run() method. Because of this, the animation pauses when I click the mouse since animThreadSuspended is set to true, but the animation thread doesn't resume upon another click, despite animThreadSuspended getting reset to false.

I'm sure there's a very simple way to remedy this that I'm overlooking - any help would be most appreciated.

Dan    <<Less

Re: Thread pausing in a Frame animation

Posted By:   Keith_Lynn  
Posted On:   Tuesday, February 1, 2005 09:47 AM

Do you get an IllegalMonitorStateException?
About | Sitemap | Contact