JDBC CONNECTION POOL QUESTION
4 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Joe_Koziatek
Posted On:   Wednesday, December 29, 2004 02:04 PM

Hi, I am running Tomcat 4.1.12 and making JDBC connections to an Informix 7.23 environment. The connections are dynamically created, used, and closed for each processing thread. I am familiar with JNDI lookups and DataSources and have written my own resource pools before. I would like to implement pooling and minimize the total number of TCPIP connections to our server engine. My Questions Are: 1) What would be the most common/standard Java classes or modules I would use to implement pooling? 2) There are 8 different database instances running under 1 Informix Server. I have noticed that my Driver Manager creates a seperate TCPIP socket connection for every Drivermanager.getConnection() request (even if all connections are to   More>>

Hi, I am running Tomcat 4.1.12 and making JDBC connections to an Informix 7.23 environment. The connections are dynamically created, used, and closed for each processing thread. I am familiar with JNDI lookups and DataSources and have written my own resource pools before. I would like to implement pooling and minimize the total number of TCPIP connections to our server engine.

My Questions Are:

1) What would be the most common/standard Java classes or modules I would use to implement pooling?

2) There are 8 different database instances running under 1 Informix Server. I have noticed that my Driver Manager creates a seperate TCPIP socket connection for every Drivermanager.getConnection() request (even if all connections are to the same database). If I defined 3 max active connections for each database URL, under maximum load would I have 24 seperate TCPIP connections to SQLEXEC?, Would each database have 1 TCPIP connection?, Would the servlet engine have 1 TCPIP connection in it's entirity?, Are there configuration settings that control the channel to database mappings as to whether several connection objects connected to the same database URL can multiplex through a single TCPIP connection?

3) General Question - Can Connection objects be shared? As in multiple threads sending SQL statements concurrently?

I greatly appreciate everyones advice..

Joe

<<Less

Re: JDBC CONNECTION POOL QUESTION

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Monday, January 31, 2005 03:50 AM

Hi, I am running Tomcat 4.1.12 and making JDBC connections to an Informix 7.23 environment. The connections are dynamically created, used, and closed for each processing thread. I am familiar with JNDI lookups and DataSources and have written my own resource pools before. I would like to implement pooling and minimize the total number of TCPIP connections to our server engine. My Questions Are: 1) What would be the most common/standard Java classes or modules I would use to implement pooling? 2) There are 8 different database instances running under 1 Informix Server. I have noticed that my Driver Manager creates a seperate TCPIP socket connection for every Drivermanager.getConnection() request (even if all connections are to the same database). If I defined 3 max active connections for each database URL, under maximum load would I have 24 seperate TCPIP connections to SQLEXEC?, Would each database have 1 TCPIP connection?, Would the servlet engine have 1 TCPIP connection in it's entirity?, Are there configuration settings that control the channel to database mappings as to whether several connection objects connected to the same database URL can multiplex through a single TCPIP connection? 3) General Question - Can Connection objects be shared? As in multiple threads sending SQL statements concurrently? I greatly appreciate everyones advice.. Joe

Posted On:   Monday, January 24, 2005 03:36 AM

Posted On:   Monday, January 24, 2005 03:35 AM

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Thursday, December 30, 2004 07:21 AM

Maybe study the DBCP which comes from Apache Jakarta Commons.
About | Sitemap | Contact