dcsimg
Need a way to start my app on remote linux machine, but need the app so started not get killed if local windows machine gets rebooted.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   neal_ravindran
Posted On:   Friday, December 3, 2004 09:10 PM

Phew! There are no pictures, but just a 1000 words for this qn. So please get some coffee:) Since my app server (loaded on a linux machine) is 100 miles away from me (and since I have really short arms;), I use my windows machine at home to do a ssh session with the remote linux server to start my J2EE app server onboard that linux server. Dual purposes here...a) Start app server remotely and also b) see console messages which are very useful when users call up and say "Damn! yr app sucks! I get a 500 Internal server error". That ssh session is very helpful to debug app under such situations Now that is all the good part. The bad part is that once in a while I have to reboot my windows PC (or it crash   More>>

Phew! There are no pictures, but just a 1000 words for this qn. So please get some coffee:)

Since my app server (loaded on a linux machine) is 100 miles away from me (and since I have really short arms;), I use my windows machine at home to do a ssh session with the remote linux server to start my J2EE app server onboard that linux server. Dual purposes here...a) Start app server remotely and also b) see console messages which are very useful when users call up and say "Damn! yr app sucks! I get a 500 Internal server error". That ssh session is very helpful to debug app under such situations

Now that is all the good part.

The bad part is that once in a while I have to reboot my windows PC (or it crashes on its own...ahem, well Mr.Gates, wazzuP with that!;) When I reboot my windows PC at home, the J2EE app goes down as the ssh session goes down. But this J2EE app running on that remote linux server is so very mission-critical (well not to me, ha-ha;) that if down even for a minute, I could get fired (ok, so I lied...it is therefore mission-critical to me too :( )

So I am in a catch-22 situation...I need to see the console messages and also be able to reboot the windows PC once in a while and still keep the app running at other end and on logging back to remote linux server still get to see the console messages..like nothing ever happened.

Any clue how I could achieve not shutting down the app at remote server when I reboot my home windows PC? Can Cygwin help me out here, somehow? If so how? If Cygwin is not the answer, what is? (I definitely [100%] want to see the console messages)

<<Less

Re: Need a way to start my app on remote linux machine, but need the app so started not get killed if local windows machine gets rebooted.

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Saturday, December 4, 2004 09:02 AM

So start the server process in the background, redirect its stdout and stderr to a file, then exit that shell/window.

Next open a different shell/window, doing a "tail -f" on the log file.

I do it all the time, with the script that starts a Weblogic server for instance.
About | Sitemap | Contact