dcsimg
ORB: CORBA's interoperability problem
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Halil_AKINCI
Posted On:   Thursday, November 25, 2004 11:57 PM

Hi,

"...CORBA relies on single-vendor solutions to use the protocol to maximum advantage. This means that every machine runs the same ORB product..."

I continuously encounter with the above statement both in literature and web documents as interoperability problem of the CORBA. For example, if three different CORBA applications which use different programming language and ORB products (e.g. Java IDL, Visibroker and OrbixWeb) wants to communicate with each other, what sort of problems may occur? Can anybody give me concrete examples?

thanks...

Re: ORB: CORBA's interoperability problem

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Tuesday, November 30, 2004 07:40 AM

That is probably an outdated statement. I think the key word in the statement above is "maximum" advantage also.
Prior to the POA, the adapter (BOA-basic object adapter) was poorly defined thus
leaving vendors to fill in details on their own, thus making portability limited. Then the OMG defined the POA,
or the Portable Object Adapter in order to more clearly define the adapter.

Of course there are always some issues, for example there was a bug recently fixed in Java in which extra padding
was added in methods with no parameters, breaking compatibility with Orbix

Note that this is not just a problem with Corba, for example, with early versions of SOAP also, various workarounds
were required to get interoperability between Apache SOAP and Microsoft's implementation.

About | Sitemap | Contact