Redirecting from the server without user response
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Eugene_Petersen
Posted On:   Thursday, November 18, 2004 12:35 AM

Hi people

I need to know if it is possible to redirect a user without having them to request something from the server, i.e

A User logs in and waits till the session times out. When the session times out I want to be able to send the user's browser to a particular page without having the user submitting a link/form.

I do not know if this is possible.

Could someone please help me???

Thanks in advance
EP

Re: Redirecting from the server without user response

Posted By:   Jerome_Iffrig  
Posted On:   Thursday, November 18, 2004 04:08 PM

This is not possible because the HTTP does not keep the connection opened with the client: For **every** request from the client, a new connection is created on the server; once the server response sent, it disconnects and does not have a way to tell anyting to the client later in time.

It is somehow possible to do Server-push to the client, but it is not good for the server's resources (persistant physical connection with the server are costly) - I never had to use this feature - I am not sure you could anyway meet your requirement using it (you can find some info of server-push on the web)

What *could* be more realistic would be to use JavaScript within your page: The javascript in the page would trigger a timer on the client's browser, and when the timer elapses, redirect wherever you want (never done it either but I guess it is feasable).

You can find javascript/timers .etc... resources on the web as well.

My 2 cents-

Jerome

About | Sitemap | Contact