Session Cache: does it exist?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Aad_Nales
Posted On:   Friday, October 22, 2004 08:32 AM

Hi All, I have been using Struts for some years to full satisfaction. But lately I have been running into problems with the use of the Session based variables. The problem I have is that sometimes I need variable that I can use for 'a while' but that should expire if no longer used. I typically put these in the session of the user. However, these Sessions can become quite big. It is hard to guarantee the cleanup since I don't know what else the user is doing. I can not wait for a submit or something since he might decide to click on something else. Also, just clearing all variables before starting a new resource intensive path is hard too. The user (session) could have multiple windows op. What I am thinking about is creating a s   More>>

Hi All,

I have been using Struts for some years to full satisfaction. But lately I have been running into problems with the use of the Session based variables. The problem I have is that sometimes I need variable that I can use for 'a while' but that should expire if no longer used. I typically put these in the session of the user. However, these Sessions can become quite big.

It is hard to guarantee the cleanup since I don't know what else the user is doing. I can not wait for a submit or something since he might decide to click on something else. Also, just clearing all variables before starting a new resource intensive path is hard too. The user (session) could have multiple windows op. What I am thinking about is creating a session based cache. Every object I store in this cache I can give a timeout so that it clears automagically.

What I am wondering is: 1) does this exist already? and 2) any comments on this approach?

TIA,
Aad.

<<Less

Re: Session Cache: does it exist?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Saturday, October 23, 2004 07:20 AM

I understand that Hibernate uses something called "JCS" (Java Cacheing System), from Apache Jakarta Turbine.
About | Sitemap | Contact