Time synchronization for all routers in a network
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Karl_Cassaigne
Posted On:   Friday, October 1, 2004 06:54 AM

I recently has problems with short TTL messages being already expired upon reception because the source and destination router were not time synchronized... (I know it's a shame). A nice addition to SwiftMQ would be to be able to define one router of a network as a "time master" which would then serve the "time signal" to the other routers in the network. This "time master" could itself be synchronized with an external NTP server. What do you think about that ? PS : another small but VERY useful addition would be that the explorer WARNS the user when a modification has been made to the configuration and you need to call "save" before exiting... I happen to loose my changes nearly each ti   More>>

I recently has problems with short TTL messages being already expired upon reception because the source and destination router were not time synchronized... (I know it's a shame).

A nice addition to SwiftMQ would be to be able to define one router of a network as a "time master" which would then serve the "time signal" to the other routers in the network. This "time master" could itself be synchronized with an external NTP server.

What do you think about that ?

PS : another small but VERY useful addition would be that the explorer WARNS the user when a modification has been made to the configuration and you need to call "save" before exiting... I happen to loose my changes nearly each time I use the explorer !!!

<<Less

Re: Time synchronization for all routers in a network

Posted By:   Andreas_Mueller  
Posted On:   Monday, October 4, 2004 03:39 AM

Time: We use System.currentTimeMillis() to get the system time and we don't want to change that. The usual way to sync the times is to do that via an NTP server and sync the system time.

Save: You don't need to save before exiting. You can reconnect and save then. You only need to save before shutting down the router. ;-) But you're right; we will change that.
About | Sitemap | Contact