String v/s numbers as primary keys
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Raj_Subramani
Posted On:   Monday, August 16, 2004 09:08 AM

The FAQ (for this forum) discusses a few aspects related to this but I would appreciate you own milage on this. I generate a UUID (String) primary key based on J-GUID . My question is, will having a non-numeric PK mean that indexing a table with hundreds of thousands of records become difficult? I am not a DB expert so some feedback would be appreciated. I am sympathetic to other arguments which state that other apps trying to farm data out of the DB will have difficulty passing through a 36 character long key (but then, the counter args is, very rarely does one get a row by its primary key if the PK happens to be some id that represents uniqueness). Cheers -raj    More>>

The FAQ (for this forum) discusses a few aspects related to this but I would appreciate you own milage on this.

I generate a UUID (String) primary key based on J-GUID .

My question is, will having a non-numeric PK mean that indexing a table with hundreds of thousands of records become difficult? I am not a DB expert so some feedback would be appreciated.

I am sympathetic to other arguments which state that other apps trying to farm data out of the DB will have difficulty passing through a 36 character long key (but then, the counter args is, very rarely does one get a row by its primary key if the PK happens to be some id that represents uniqueness).

Cheers

-raj

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact